Caravan Questions

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 16:33
ThreadID: 91452 Views:1931 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Gradually gathering stuff together for newly aquired van....decided on the Stone
Stomper stone guard & picked it up yesterday..I must say the service offered by
Christian was excellent...will post more on this gear later. Cranking down the legs seems a bit tedious. How does a cordless drill & suitably extended socket handle
this job ?. Simple job to make one, but thought I'd best ask first. Side Roller Awning
...any tricks with these things ?. I believe wind can be an issue. Any packing tips
would be welcome too. Aware of weight & balance issues, ball weight etc but bound
to be other useful info among the EO vanners. All input welcome & much appreciated.
cheers......oldbaz.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 16:50

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 16:50
An 18v cordless drill will handle it easily.
I have used one for some time but have now gone back to the OLD handle because,
1. I need the exercise.
2. Do not need to carry drill and charger etc.

Roll out awning.... Always pull awning out from center if possible.
I put some stick on Velcro on pull cord and the other half onto awning to stop any flap when wound up.

Packing....
Do a shake down cruise and take everything you think you will need for an extended trip. Then as you use each item mark it with a tick using a felt pen then when you get home if it does not have the tick of approval leave it out in future.

Lastly get yourself a small plastic tool box from a $2 shop and make yourself up a first aid kit (or purchase one and add it into the box) and do not forget to add some cold and flu tablets.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 475991

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 07:55

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 07:55
Thanks Dodg, good stuff, shakedown weekend is coming up in Feb. We are used to
camping with C/t, but van is a little different. First Aid kit is always high on list.
cheers....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 751050

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:27

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:27
Not sure if I'm reading you right here, Bazzer - but those wind-down legs only need winding back in a bit, just enough to clear the floor and maybe a bit more. You don't need to wind em in all the way and then there's not much winding to do anyway. No need for a drill.

Awning: it's really a case of getting used to the routine but in a moderate wind they often sound more flappy than they actually are, especially when you're in bed. If it does get very windy, just wind it in to be on the safe side.
AnswerID: 476000

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:32

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:32
btw, I've had my eye on those stone stompers for a while but we'll be changing over ourselves soon - they look a good product. Saw somebody up at Lawn Hill a few years back and they hardly had mark on the front of their trailers.
FollowupID: 751017

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 08:03

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 08:03
G'day Steve, the external legs wind down a long way as the van is quite high...hence
the drill idea. I did a bit of research on here & elsewhere re stone guards & decided
on the SS. A bit exy I suppose, but I was impressed with the effectiveness of a
similar style job I made for the C/t. It appears to offer full protection for whole of van
front as well as rear of tug. A big trip on unsealed roads later this year will be the
real test..cheers....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 751052

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 09:52

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 09:52
I have just made myself another wind screen protector, first one was out of perspex, realising that I do not need a clear screen, even towing my camper, I made one out of 2mm ply wood. Had some paint left over, same as the vehicle, used on the out side and painted it flat black inside and used velcro to hold it to the screen. As I had all the gear in the shed it was very cheap.
FollowupID: 751060

Sponsored Links